Thursday, December 04, 2008

Inconstancy

For all the talk about the world being a global village, how people are just a phone call away, the ease of online networking, and our ability to travel anywhere and everywhere, the physical distance between friends and loved ones still makes a difference in our ability to depend on one another. It helps me to know that someone is right there with me in an event or a meeting that we have planned or anticipated together.

But people move away. Changes in employment, housing needs, education, health - whatever - rearranges the available hands of reassurance on my shoulder every so often. Situations shift. Expectations, work to be done, people to see - all of these are not the same today as yesterday. The truth has come upon me forcefully once again: the only constant is change.

So you are moving away. I appreciate you for taking the time to reassure me that this current change is an opportunity for growth. It is a chance to see God at work through other people and means. Things are happening and there will be progress under his good hand. Even so, it is still hard for me to deal with this. As the emotions well up and blur my vision for a while, I realize, ever so haltingly, that all I can do is accept your reasoning. I take pause and remind myself that the foundation upon which the adventure of life unfolds is a Person who does not move away.

It is only because of this that I can let you go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very nice and personal tribute.